Renting a truck for your relocation can be far less expensive than hiring a professional moving company, but pricing isn’t the only consideration. With so many truck rental businesses to select from, your research should include information on features and terms in addition to the price.
Budget is a household name in moving truck and van rental among all the truck rental businesses out there. It’s also one of the largest, with roughly 2,600 service sites throughout North America and 30,000 vehicles for hire. The company is so present that you are likely to locate a Budget truck to rent no matter your area code.
Before making your selection, however, here are the basics about Budget truck rentals, like their costs, deposits, and must-know details that you can use while evaluating your numerous options.
Budget Truck Rental Prices And Fees
Just like what their namesake indicates, Budget is one of the most cost-effective alternatives for hiring a moving truck, with pricing ranging from $80 to $1,500 per day, depending on the size truck you need to hire and the distance you need to go.
Keep in mind that Budget has a less-than-savory habit of adding on extra fees, so the quotation you receive for your truck is likely to be the net rentals, without any extra expenses. There are a few extra expenses to consider when it comes to Budget’s costs:
- Mileage: Budget charges $0.25 per mile once you’ve hit your mileage cap.
- Add-ons: Budget has options like dolly rental or towing equipment available to suit your moving plans.
- Gas: Yes, Budget does charge for gas.
- Liability insurance: It is optional, but you should consider checking this option for long moving routes.
- Fees and taxes: All Budget’s fees and taxes are following your state’s laws and regulations.
- Deposit: Budget charges a $150 deposit for any standard moving truck rental.
Budget truck rental costs can fluctuate depending on their convoy’s availability and demand, with weekend rates being somewhat higher than weekday rates.
Fortunately, the company also has a lot of amazing deals to make up for the plethora of extra fees. Most notably, Budget gives 20% off rentals for all current and former military members. Other significant discounts include a 10% to 20% discount for AARP members, police, firefighters, and EMT employees, Motor Club members, students, and members of the Bar Association.
What to Know About Renting with Budget
Before you choose a Budget moving truck, here are a few things you should know about what makes Budget the top pick for moving:
- There are no unlimited mileage rentals: Budget provides restricted mileage options only. If you’re relocating locally, you pay per mile, and if you’re traveling elsewhere, you have a mileage restriction with a $0.25 fee each mile after that. Thus, a Budget rental moving truck is best used for short route moving.
- There are no set reservations: Your Budget truck rental reservation is not guaranteed, as the company rents their trucks in the first come first served fashion. Therefore, there is always the risk that a moving truck will not be available for you on the day and time you require it.
- There’s a deposit: With every booking, you must pay a $150 deposit, which is refundable as long as you return your vehicle on time, in excellent condition, and with as least as much petrol as you began with.
How to Reserve a Budget Moving Truck
While Budget doesn’t guarantee your rental truck reservation, you can book any vehicle of their moving truck convoy so effortlessly online. To check for availability and obtain a quotation, go to Budget’s online reservation site and input your location and relocation date information. You’ll then receive an estimate for each truck choice, as well as the ability to select your add-ons. Just keep in mind that this isn’t a final estimate, and you should be prepared to pay some additional expenses.
Finally, Keep in mind that you may cancel your Budget vehicle rental without penalty up to 48 hours before your reservation. If you cancel with less than 24 hours to go, you will be charged a $50 penalty.
If you book or make a reservation via their website, you may be able to take advantage of the season’s special promos and deals. This might include unrestricted miles and free upgrades. Sometimes the deals provided on their website are only available to those who book their bookings online. So, before phoning their customer support hotline to reserve, you should first check their website for special deals.
In case you don’t want to miss out on any offers on Budget truck rentals, check out our listings right here, carefully vetted from Budget’s homepage, as well as multiple reputed coupon sites online. If you want to check out other moving truck rental options, check out our up-to-date entries on household names like U-Haul, Lowes’, Ryder, Home Depot, or Penske as well.